Guess who's back? Back again?
Michael Mauboussin is back; tell a friend.
Mauboussin was actually the very first guest on the podcast, when it was still very much an experiment. I enjoyed it so much, I decided to continue with the show. (If you missed his last interview, you can listen to it here, or if you’re a member of The Learning Community, you can download a transcript.)
Michael is one of my very favorite people to talk to, and I couldn’t wait to pick up right where we left off.
In this interview, Michael and I dive deep into some of the topics we care most about here at Farnam Street, including:
- The concept of “base rates” and how they can help us make far better decisions and avoid the pain and consequences of making poor choices.
- How to know where you land on the luck/skill continuum and why it matters
- Michael’s advice on creating a systematic decision-making process in your organization to improve outcomes.
- The two most important elements of any decision-making process
- How to train your intuition to be one of your most powerful assets instead of a dangerous liability
- The three tests Michael uses in his company to determine the health and financial stability of his environment
- Why “algorithm aversion” is creating such headaches in many organizations and how to help your teams overcome it, so you can make more rapid progress
- The most significant books that he’s read since we last spoke, his reading habits, and the strategies he uses to get the most out of every book
- The importance of sleep in Michael's life to make sure his body and mind are running at peak efficiency
- His greatest failures and what he learned from them
- How Michael and his wife raised their kids and the unique parenting style they adopted
- How Michael defines happiness and the decisions he makes to maximize the joy in his life
Any one of those insights alone is worth a listen, so I think you’re really going to enjoy this interview.
- Listen on iTunes
- Stream by clicking here
- Download as MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “Save As”
A complete list of all of our podcast episodes.